Monday, August 29, 2011

Let the Kids Cook! Yummy Pancakes...

Today was a great morning. I ran/walk 2 miles with my 6 year old preparing her for her first 1 Mile Kids Run in October. A little quality time and a little workout. She worked up quite an appetite.

Unless I am really pressed for time, when my family requests pancakes for breakfast, I almost always make buttermilk pancakes from scratch (recipe below). The advantage, you can control the ingredients and it tastes so fresh. I also let the kids get involve. I believe it is really important to let children be familiar with cooking early. It teaches them so many valuable things, such basic measuring, sequencing of ingredients, and the satisfaction of the fruits of their labor. Not to mention, how fun it is and how much more healthier it is for them to eat freshly prepared foods.

Getting our cook on: as the responsible parent, I assign tasks that are age appropriate. I have two daughters, Estellina 4 and Sophia 6. I let the younger one measure, pour and mix the batter. Be forewarn, it can get messy, but it's ok, it's worth it! On the latter part, I supervise my 6 year old while I teach her to wait to warm the griddle to a certain temperature and how to measure the right amount of batter for each pancake. Just recently, I have gained confidence in her to let her actually flip the pancakes. Here they are in action with me by their side...so proud of them.


Este getting the batter started. She loves to be involved...



Sophia (standing on a small step stool) has pure concentration as she flips each pancake...



Time to enjoy "the fruits of our labor"...served with simple eggs, potato hash and fresh orange juice. Oh, so good!!!




Buttermilk Pancakes
Makes nine 6-inch pancakes
The key to fluffy pancakes is not to overmix the batter; it should not be beaten smooth.
2cups whole wheat flour
2teaspoons baking powder
1teaspoon baking soda
1/2teaspoon sea salt
3tablespoons sugar
2large eggs , lightly beaten
3cups low-fat buttermilk
4tablespoons unsalted butter , melted (cool a bit before adding to mixture)
1. Heat griddle to about 375°. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tablespoons butter; whisk to combine. Batter should have small to medium lumps.
2. Heat oven to 175°. Test griddle by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. If water bounces and spatters off griddle, it is hot enough. Using a pastry brush, brush about 1/2 teaspoon of additional butter.
3. Using a 4-ounce ladle, about 1/2 cup, pour pancake batter, in pools 2 inches away from one other. When pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around edges, about 2 1/2 minutes, flip over. Cook until golden on bottom, about 1 minute.
4. Repeat with remaining batter, keeping finished pancakes on a heatproof plate in oven. Serve warm.




No comments:

Post a Comment