Thursday, September 8, 2011

Is Organic Eating Really the Way to Go?

Farm Fresh Organic Produce Stand in San Francisco

My husband and I recently took the family for a brief visit up north to the Bay Area. It was so much fun to visit. Being from Southern California, it was like being in a different state. We drove through the long stretch of the 5 Freeway. You cannot help but notice the abundance of crops all along both sides of the highway. I mean that's all there was either rest stops or fields and fields of corps. Some were obvious, like the corn stalks and grapevines, but others kept me guessing, "what the heck is growing on those trees?" Well, this recent experience made me ponder, "how much of those endless bounty of corps were actually grown organically?" I must admit I do believe in the benefits of organically grown and all natural foods, but I don't necessarily go out of my way to purchase them. I am conscious about buying meat that have no hormone additives and are natural and free range. During our visit, we ate at a couple restaurants that mainly had organic fares, and it was unbelievably delicious. When it comes to produce, I've been a little lax with my buying decisions and this trip was really an eyeopener, literally since produce was all I was looking at for 8 hours driving. Anyway, I decided to read up some more on Organic vs. Non-organic. Countless articles later, I found this one below from the Mayo Clinic. It gives a great overview comparing the two, and the advantages and disadvantages. Some I already knew and it also answered most of my questions to be able to make a wiser decision next time I visit the market.

Mayo Clinic Article

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organic-food/NU00255

No comments:

Post a Comment