Friday, August 12, 2011

My Hot Yoga Essentials




About 2 years ago my good friends Cathy and Richard introduced me to Hot Yoga or more specific the Dayton Method which derived from Bikram. It's about 26 postures and 90 minutes long. I took my first introductory class in October 2009 and I was hooked. I loved the fact that it was challenging at the same time very calming. All you needed to succeed was to put forth effort into each and every single pose in midst of calming the mind through the heat. Yoga is a very mental practice over physical and there's always room to improve. Yoga simply means "Union" and "Balance." After just a few classes my body felt elongated and my flexibility improved tremendously. A few benefits of yoga is it calms the mind, reduces stress and anxiety, improves balance, strength and flexibility, and increases circulation. Not to mention it is very energizing once you're done. I love to practice yoga early in the morning as it sets my whole day for peace.

My yoga essentials are very simple. There's not much you need to get started. The one thing I did splurged on was buying a couple Lululemon yoga pants because they are just so darn comfortable and shapes you like you would not believe. I also justified it as a double investment as I can also run long distance in my Lululemon workout pants or tights as they say. Otherwise, I have inexpensive yoga tops from Target that have light support to get you through the poses, my yoga tote to carry my mat (which TJ Maxx has at bargain price, as low $10), water, and towel (I just use a large one from home, sometimes a beach towel). The best thing is you don't need shoes! I simply wear my flip flops before and after class and done.

There is so many advantages to practicing yoga ask anyone who's practiced a while, they'll talk your ear off. Hot Yoga is only one form of the practice. There is many other versions that are not quite so hot and duration not as long. I encourage you to look into your local studios. Most of them will have a one - two week introductory membership to test ride the classes...take advantage of these. I find in my classes that there are about an equal amount of women to men that practice. It really is for everyone and at any level of fitness. Although, I have been trying for two years to get my hubby to come with, he hesitates. He has some soccer injuries that come back to haunt him at times and yoga would be so good for it...maybe one day. Also, most yoga instructors are very supportive, earthy people, knowledgeable practitioners so no need to be intimidated when taking your first class. Yoga is the best, it's a workout, I promise. Namaste!




No comments:

Post a Comment