Saturday, October 22, 2011

Oatmeal Before The MS150 2011

Riding for the cure! Final prep...so proud!

I was up at 4:30am today, bright and early as they say, to send off hubby on his 4th MS150 Bike Tour. The MS150 Bay to Bay Bike Tour is a huge and amazing fundraiser for Multiple Sclerosis.


Participants ride 150 miles over 2 days from Orange County to San Diego County, CA. It's a challenge and a lot of fun! Sadly, I have to sit out this year, but proud to cheer my hubby and friends on.

So what does wifey feed hubby for early breakfast who's about to ride over 100 miles on his bike? Simple oatmeal and eggs. A combination of complex carbohydrates and complete protein. Perfect fuel for a long ride. I had to really learn to love oatmeal, and even when I finally made a habit of eating it, I ate the wrong type (instant). I have now seen the error of my way. When you have oatmeal, opt for the steel cut oats (preferably organic) variety because it is less processed. It takes a little longer to cook, but well worth it. Add fruit, nuts and dash of brown sugar for flavor. Oatmeal is also great for children's breakfast instead of boxed cereal which contain, as we know, a ton of unnecessary sugar. Oatmeal is one of the best simple breakfasts and so good for you!


Steel Cut Oats

The finished meal with a little walnuts, dash of brown sugar, side of berries and scrambled eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment