Thursday, September 22, 2011

Lite & Crunchy Honey Chicken

I love stir-fry meals, and I use to be very intimidated by the process. I thought you needed a fancy wok (which surprisingly I don't own one) and exotic utensils. Although, those certainly help, but for now I'm no Iron Chef, so a large skillet and a slotted wooden spoon works just fine. I came across this recipe online for crunchy honey chicken, which is essentially just a stir-fry, and of course I put my own little spin to it (broken down in 5 simple steps in below recipe). I adore this meal because you literally pack it with your favorite veggies and the lite and simple sauce makes everything so tasty. Not to mention, it all can be done in just one skillet. BONUS, less dishes, which I do not adore! This meal was so good, it came together quickly and it got kiddos and hubby's seal of approval. I believe a great meal does not have to be fussy, it just has to be balanced.

Starting off good...Is there anything more beautiful than the colors of these veggies?!?
So simple, so easy and so good for you! Can't wait to dig in!


Lite and Crunchy Honey Chicken

Ingredients
· 2 Eggs
· ⅓ cups Wheat Flour
· 3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
· 1 cup Broccoli Florets
· 1 Red Pepper, ThinlySliced
· 1 Large (White or Yellow) Onion, Thinly Sliced
· 1 Tablespoon Low Sodium Soy Sauce
· 2 clove Garlic, Minced
· 1 pound Thin Sliced,Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
· ¼ cups Honey
· Sea Salt And Pepper

Preparation Instructions
Step 1: Prepare and sliceall veggies. Feel free to add other veggies you would like. Set aside.

Step 2: Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Step 3: Lightly beat eggs in one bowl and place flour in another. Set aside.

Step 4: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heatand add 1 tablespoon canola oil (I like using canola oil because you can heat to high temperature and it doesn't burn easily). Add cut veggies with a dash of salt and pepperand saute for about 5 minutes, until softened (I like my veggies still a little crispy). Add in soy sauce and garlic andstir so veggies are coated, about 1 minute. Remove veggies from skillet and set asidein a bowl.

Step 5: Heat the same skillet overmedium-high heat and add remaining canola oil. Dip chicken pieces in eggs and then lightly dredge in the flour. Add coated chicken pieces to the skillet and let brown for 2-3minutes, then flip. Continue with remaining chicken pieces. If the skillet is over crowded, you can do this inbatches if needed.

Once chicken iscooked, add veggies back in the skillet. Add honey and thoroughly mix tocombine. Taste and season with salt, pepper, additional honey or soy sauce, if needed.Serve with white or brown rice. On my hubby's plate I added red chili flakes as he likes it with a little heat. So good and so healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment